Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Martinique (TO1BT)

Today I visited my friend Ernesto (EA1LQ) and he showed me his radio station. We heard CO8YL on the 20m band so we tried to make the QSO, without much luck, and I thought I could be luckier with the vertical antenna on my car.
I tried a couple of times without success so I decided to look for other stations on the band. The first QSO was with Slovenia and the second one was a real surprise: TO1BT from Martinique.
Martinique is an island in the eastern Caribbean Sea. It is an overseas department of France. To the northwest lies Dominica, to the south St Lucia, and to the southeast Barbados. As part of France, Martinique is part of the European Union, and its currency is the euro. Its official language is French, although many of its inhabitants also speak Antillean Creole (Créole Martiniquais) and Modern English. Martinique is pictured on all euro banknotes, on the reverse at the bottom of each note, right of the Greek ΕΥΡΩ (EURO) next to the denomination.
Fernando (EA1BT) will be active from Martinique as TO1BT from 8 to 15 December. His former DX-peditions include Sahara (S09A), Mauritania (5T6BT), Nicaragua (YN2BT) and Western Sahara (S07EA).

No comments:

Post a Comment