Friday, March 19, 2010

Malta, no. 67 confirmed (9H5PC)

Today I have made a couple of QSOs with Malta on 15m, but I did not know that one of them would represent the country number 67 validly confirmed for my eDX100 award. I have worked this country a number of times before. This gives you an idea of how difficult it is to get new countries confirmed by eQSL.
In 1530 Charles I of Spain gave the islands to the Order of Knights of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem in perpetual lease. These knights, a military religious order now known as the Knights of Malta, had been driven out of Rhodes by the Ottoman Empire in 1522. The knights withstood a full-blown siege by the Ottoman Turks in 1565, at the time the greatest naval power in the Mediterranean. The knights, fighting alongside the Maltese, were victorious and speaking of the battle Voltaire said, "Nothing is more well known than the siege of Malta".

No comments:

Post a Comment