This weekend I have been preparing the Yaesu FT-897D for portable operations, with the help of my friend Robi, who has also taken some pictures with his new mobile phone.
We built two handles out of some square aluminum bar and attached them to the FT-897 with the screws that are normally used for the mobile mounting bracket. The screws on the picture are provisional because we did not have any of the right length.
This is the third prototype so far, after having tried other configurations made of steel.
The result is promising, because it is rugged, compact, light and looks good. But we still have to find a solution for an antenna base.
This is part of a collaborative project with Alex (ON4FB) to build a custom manpack transceiver on the basis of amateur equipment.