Sunday, July 18, 2010

Solar powered FT-897D

This is a video of some tests with my FT-897D manpack in the following configuration:
  • 2.4m whip
  • FC-40 antenna tuner
  • Internal batteries
  • 13W suitcase solar generator

On this video I make a QSO with English station M0UOO/P (Richard) operating from the beach in Southampton.

The solar generator produced just enough energy to keep the battery's charge. I also had it connected to the radio for 15 minutes after I had finished operating (with the radio switched off) so I think that the batteries were fuller at the end of the day than when I started.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to know more about your setup and any improvements or changes you have made since this video. I have the same radio and am very interested in being able to take it portable with sustainable energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't experimented much with solar power lately but I would like to have a light military-style foldable panel.

    ReplyDelete